Disclosure: I’ve been asked by Duracell to create this post for #FirePreventionWeek and have been compensated. Opinions are my own.
Having a house fire is one of my biggest fears. I rarely burn candles (and when I do, use excessive caution), I have reminders set on my phone to make sure I’ve unplugged my flat iron, and love my cool-top induction range. While I might be a bit over the top sometimes (yay anxiety!), it’s important that every single household take a few minutes from time to time to make sure the items we purchase to protect us from fire and deadly fumes are working correctly. Working together, Duracell and the Canadian Association of Fire Chiefs (CAFC) came up with these 5 simple, but life-saving tips:
Replace: When it comes to smoke alarms and Carbon Monoxide detectors, The Canadian Association of Fire Chiefs and Duracell would like to stress – don’t wait, check the date. Both smoke alarms and Carbon Monoxide detectors are crucial for notifying you if a fire emergency should occur, which is why it’s important to replace batteries. Test your alarm each month, and be sure to replace your Duracell Quantum batteries every fall when you turn back your clocks.
Be sure to have the right batteries on hand! As it turns out, most if not all of today’s smoke detectors that use batteries use 9-volt… the only size I didn’t have on hand. They are on this week’s list – for now the old (but still working) battery has been replaced. Lesson learned.
Plan: Map out the best way to escape in the event of a fire emergency. Be sure to go over the plan with your family and even create a special day each year where you all practice your fire drill. This way, you and your family can be prepared if a fire should occur.
Unplug: Don’t overload electrical outlets with too many plugs from your electronics. If your devices aren’t in use, check that they’re turned off and unplugged from their outlet (this will also help your power bill). Also, when buying your devices, look for approval by a recognized listed agency like the Canadian Standards Association (CSA).
Clean: Make sure your chimney and fireplace are cleaned annually to prevent a chimney fire from occurring. If you own a space heater, keep in a clear area so that there are no flammable items around.
Focus. Cooking is the number one cause of house fires, so it’s essential that you never leave food that’s cooking on a stovetop unattended. Always monitor whatever you’re cooking, and make sure that your cooking space is clear of any objects.
Be safe, my friends.