Cinco de Mayo (pronounced: [ˈsiŋko ðe ˈmaʝo]; Spanish for “May 5th”, or literally, “Five of May”) is a celebration held on May 5. The date is observed to commemorate the Mexican army’s unlikely victory over French forces at the Battle of Puebla on May 5, 1862, under the leadership of General Ignacio Zaragoza Seguín.
I have to admit though, for me Cinco de Mayo is just an excuse to eat Mexican and Tex Mex food – I love it! We’ve been buying Que Pasa tortilla chips for years (follow them on Twitter at @QuePasaFoods). Hubs is now addicted to their Salsa as well and what’s not to love?
When it comes to quality, no kernel is left unturned. From our carefully sourced whole-grain corn to our skillfully smoked jalapenos, at Que Pasa only the best ingredients make the cut. Keeping it real as nature intended, our foods are organic and non-gmo. And just to make sure no one’s left out of the fiesta, we’ve got plenty of gluten free and vegan options to choose from.
Go bigger than chips and salsa on May 5th though, why not try this healthy Lentil Tacos recipe?
Que Pasa’s Lentil Tacos – Recipe and photo courtesy: Que Pasa Foods
- Que pasa corn tortillas (or flour tortillas of your choice)
- 1 Tbsp coconut oil
- 1 yellow onion, minced
- 1 can brown lentils, drained
- 1 small jar green chile enchilada sauce (or try this Roasted Tomatillo Salsa)
- ½ tsp onion powder
- sea salt
- 2 limes
- Feta cheese (optional)
Spicy Sriracha Cream Sauce:
- ½ cup plain yogurt (dairy or alternative) or sour cream
- Sriracha to taste – depends on how spicy you like it!
- Juice of 1 lime
- Pineapple tidbits – left fresh or grilled
- Red onion, thinly sliced
- Cilantro, chopped
Add coconut oil to a medium-size frying pan over medium heat. Saute minced onions until translucent and add the whole can (drain first!) of brown lentils. Saute for 2 minutes more and add green chile enchilada sauce, sea salt and onion powder.
Prep the spicy sriracha sauce sauce by combining yogurt (or sour cream) in a small bowl with lime juice and sriracha, stirring well to combine.
Build your tacos by first heating your tortillas, adding lentil mixture followed by pineapple, red onion, cilantro and spicy sriracha sauce.
One of my lucky Canadian readers is going to receive a Que Pasa bundle valued at $50!
#EverydayFiesta #CincoDeMayo Giveaway includes:
- Assortment of Que Pasa organic, non-GMO chips crafted from whole kernel corn ground with real volcanic lava stone – the traditional way they’ve been made in Mexico for generations. They’re also gluten free, vegan, low sodium, and super delicious!
- Assortment of Que Pasa organic salsa, including medium Mexicana, Mild, and smoky Chipotle flavours
- Free product vouchers so that you can keep the fiesta going on summer long!
To enter, leave me a comment below telling me what you love to dip your Que Pasa tortillas in! For a bonus entry, tweet the following and come back and leave a URL to your tweet – you may tweet daily:
Que Pasa Mexican Foods is proudly Canadian, family-owned and independent Mexican inspired food company based in BC and part of the Nature’s Path Foods family of organic brands. Specializing in delicious organic, non-GMO tortilla chips and salsas, all our delicious tortilla chips are made in Canada and crafted with stone-ground with real volcanic lava stone from Mexico. And we’re proud to be the #1 organic chip brand loved by fellow Canadians!
Disclosure: I have received sample product to facilitate this post. Opinions are my own.