Chelsea doesn’t start school until next year, but even we are looking forward to getting back into the fall routine. No more flying by the seat of our pants, always on the go, grabbing meals willy nilly. It’s already starting to get dark earlier and by dinnertime there is usually a hint of coolness in the air. Oh, Canada! The good news is that the pumpkins are growing, the apples are close and it’s soup time!
This is a nice, mild Mulligatawny and it pretty much makes itself in the slow cooker, yay! It’s full of lean chicken, veggies, fruit and rice. It’s finished with coconut milk, but you could use heavy cream if that’s what floats your boat. It makes a pretty full 5-quart slow cooker, and it’s even better left over… making it great for lunches (perhaps even for the more adventurous kiddo).
- 3 boneless, skinless chicken breasts – chopped into bite sized pieces
- 1 large onion, diced
- 1 small/medium red pepper, diced
- 1-2 ribs celery, diced
- 1 Granny Smith apple, diced (skin on)
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tsp freshly grated ginger
- 1 tsp grated lime zest
- 2 tbsp lime juice
- 1 tbsp honey
- 3 tsp curry powder
- 1 tsp garam masala
- 1 tsp salt (perhaps more if using no sodium broth… add it later)
- 1 tsp black pepper
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 tbsp cornstarch, dissolved in 1/4 cup cold water
- 5 cups no-or-low sodium chicken broth
- 1 cup cooked rice
- 1 can (14oz) lite Coconut Milk (use regular for a richer soup)
- 1/4 cup chopped cilantro (if desired)
Put everything in the CrockPot except the rice, coconut milk and cilantro. Cook on high for 4 hours, or low for 8. Add in the reserved ingredients, stir, and serve in 20 minutes. Like just about any soup, it goes great with some crusty bread… and you can have as much as you want
Disclosure: I am part of the Life Made Delicious Blogger Program through Mom Central Canada and I receive certain perks as part of my affiliation. Opinions are my own.