So Pizza Friday came back swinging last week and wow, it hit a home run. I didn’t even have a game plan when I put my Pizza Dough on in the Kitchenaid… I just knew I didn’t want to do the same ol’ pizza.
Looking around the kitchen I started to hunt and gather. In the fridge I saw some basil pesto, a big bag of sliced mini bellas that were crying to be eaten, half a yellow onion, and some bacon. So I put them all on the counter and went back to open my ‘Cheese Chest’, a big storage container I keep in the fridge. I had bought some Fontina, a cheese I hadn’t eaten before but have seen a lot lately and wanted to try, so I grabbed that and a bit of mozzarella and some grated Parmesan. As I was closing the door I noticed the small package of goat cheese I had bought the week before and at that point, I knew this was going to be an incredible pie. Then I saw the bag of mini potatoes I had just bought sitting on the baker’s rack and thought, why the hell not:)
- Use my Pizza Dough recipe 😉
- After rolling out dough, brush liberally with basil pesto.
- Cover pesto with all of the cheese, except the goat cheese, save that to dollop on top.
- I sliced the potatoes thinly and partially cooked them in the microwave for 2 minutes.
- I sauteed the mushrooms, onions and bacon together until they were fully cooked down. Without the bacon, this would be a fantastic vegetarian option!
- Brush the outer crust with some olive oil.
- I put some chopped fresh parsley on top once it came out of the oven (baked for 20 minutes at 450 and broiled for about 2 minutes to brown top a bit more).