The Legendary Black Bean Brownie

For years I have heard about the amazing Black Bean Brownie.  The parents of picky eaters rave about it, folks on Weight Watchers are fans, the G-Free people have jumped on board… well who am I not to give them a whirl (pun intended, read on…)?

These turned out to be a winner for us.  I wouldn’t make them for a special occasion, but for an everyday sweet treat which is also full of fibre and some protein, absolutely!  Nothing I love seeing more than my little one with beans all over her face screaming YUM!

These brownies are prepped in the blender (whirl, get it?), so you can easily whip up a batch of these in 45 minutes, including prep, baking and clean-up.  These are extremely moist, and get even more so with time it seems.  Personally, I think they taste best the same day, but after they are fully cooled.

Black Bean Brownies

My Legendary Black Bean Brownies (aka Stop or My Mom Will Toot!)
Adapted from Allrecipes

• 1 19oz (540ml) can black beans, well rinsed and drained
  • 3 large eggs
  • 3 tbsp vegetable or canola oil
  • 1/4 cup cocoa powder
  • 2/3 cup white sugar
  • 1 tsp baking powder
  • 1/4 tsp salt
  • 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
  • 1 tsp instant espresso
  • 1/4 cup bittersweet chocolate chips

Rinse and drain the black beans well.

Add all ingredients except for chocolate chips in blender.

Blend until very smooth, pour into an 8 inch square baking pan which has been sprayed with non-stick spray, sprinkle with chocolate chips and bake at 350 for 30-32 minutes.

Black Bean Brownies

Enjoy!

Comments

1. says

All right. That settles it. I’m making these this week. The last time I made these they were way too soft, but yours look perfect. Thank you!!

2. says

These are insane! I’ve seen alot of fibrous fruits and veggies added to sweets to make them healthier…but never beans. My oldest son the brownie expert may be getting these in his lunch bag in the near future, curious to see if he can spot the difference. Hey, he loves chocolate and he loves beans. Great recipe and yours look fabulous.

3. Amy says

Thanks for this recipe! I swirled some peanutbutter on top,too. My husband really liked them and couldn’t believe they were made of beans. He took the rest of the pan to the ladies in his office who are always looking for healthier recipes. Thanks again!

4. Johnnie says

Wow! Those look scrumptious! I have saved this recipe and will make them soon. Hope they’re as delicious as they look.

5. Anonymous says

We made these today, substituting coconut oil for the canola oil. You couldn’t ask for an easier brownie recipe. I made it after breakfast and it was cool enough for an after-lunch treat. Thanks for sharing!

6. Anonymous says

Tried this last night and LOVED it! My husband and 3-year old had no idea they were made with black beans. I omitted the coffee (3-year olds and caffeine do not mix well!) and they were still make-again-delicious.

7. says

FYI to Anon:
    That tiny amount of espresso is not going to charge up any kids on caffeine. Espresso has less caffeine than a cup of coffee and this is only a teaspoon anyhoo. I’d bet the chocolate chips have the same amount of caffeine in them.

8. says

The taste is awesome! My skeptical husband said ‘those taste like brownies!’ We both agreed he consistency was more like cake, but that may have just been my baking time. At any rate, they are quite tasty and MUCH less incriminating than a full on brownie :) Thanks for the recipe!

9. Anonymous says

They taste best with chocolate icing! I like to do them in muffin tins so they are like bite size brownies and I can decorate them to look like cute cupcakes. They’re always a great hit at parties!

10. says

I am so excited I found your Easy Ribs on pinterest. I was making them this morning for my 11 year old sons Birthday.I noticed they are in your top ten. I then noticed this recipe & put it together in my blender. Wow!!! I would like you to know I made two small adjustments, I used a single serving of All natural applesauce in place of the oil. I didn’t have instant Espresso, I made Espresso with my beans & added 3 TBS. These Brownies turned out Perfectly. They just melt in your mouth.A real hit at my house. SHHH,I didn’t tell anyone(family of 6) They were made with Black Beans.LOL Thank you!!! I can’t wait to try your Ribs tonight!!

11. says

That is awesome Tiffany :) I am planning on making these again soon and will try them your way, I have a lot of little applesauces hanging around. I hope your ribs turned out too!

12. Anonymous says

Just made these for the second time using 1/2 cup Agave instead of sugar, and coconut oil instead of veg oil..they are awesome! And no wheat, no sugar!!

• noagave says

Agave is worse than sugar – it is high fructose corn syrup. Being low glycemic does not make it healthy – it gives you a fatty liver.

13. says

Made these last night and they were all 12 kids loved them!! I did use coconut oil instead and also mint extract instead of espresso. Awesome, thank you!!

14. Anonymous says

Amazing!!! I made these using 1/4 cup of cocoa and 1/4 carob powder, and 1 cup dates instead of sugar. I only used 1 tbsp oil (which I’ll probably avoid altogether next time). These were even more delicious the next day!

15. says

SO AWESOME! Have made them twice with the recipe here increasing cocoa to 1/2 c. You KNOW I’ll be trying dates next – my new “thing”! Thanks Anonymous!

16. says

Thanks for the awesome recipe! I really enjoyed these brownies. I took them into work and everyone said they tasted really good.

17. says

OKay, I’m pretty scared I’ve never baked anything with beans in it. I can’t wait for them to come out of the oven and try one. I’ve also wanted to try to bake some chickpeas cookies/blondies, does anybody have a recipe I could use?

18. Anonymous says

I have made these sevral times now – with canned and dry beans- they always get rave reviews especially when people find out how healthy they actually are. reduced sugar to 1/2 cup at times.
    Thamk you for a great recipe

19. Anonymous says

Just made them again. Taking them to a social event for ladies tomorrow; I know they are better the next day. THanks Heather! ~ Rana

20. Anonymous says

Okay, I came across the recipe/link on Fitsugar. I have a sweet tooth and am always looking for healthy indulgences. I love black beans and was quite curious how the brownies would taste. I have to admit, I was skeptical but had to give them a try. WOW. Hands down, they’re quite delicious (and better the next day)! Definitely a keeper without the guilt. Thanks for sharing!

21. says

So interesting! I’ll have to try them.
    Only, I have an espresso machine/espresso beans… wonder what the best way to alter it from using instant espresso would be? Any ideas?

22. says

I have made black bean brownies from a couple of sites other than yours and they weren’t nearly as good. Yours is my “go to” recipe.

23. says

I am going to make these on the weekend! I’ve heard about them but never made them, but after reading your post, I have too!

thanks

RAFFLECOPTER NAME
    is
    Anne Taylor

24. says

just finished making these! once i put all the wet ingredients in the blender i also added 4 cups of raw spinach and liquified. the brownie came out a little green in the middle which i expected but overall very good! definitely guilt free now knowing the brownies are mainly made up of beans and spinach!

25. SueSueper Sue says

Wow, I would have never thought to make a dessert with beans. They look like normal brownies. Nice.

26. Cheryl Grandy says

I was planning to make black bean brownies, bought the beans and never got around to it. I’m not even sure where the recipe is now. So I’ll use this recipe! Looking forward to trying them.

27. Ashley says

Question-my brownies didn’t rise when I made them…anyone have that problem?

Wondering if over blending the mixture did that?

28. Lauren E. says

I recently graduated as a nutrition student this past may and celebrated by having a healthy BBQ. I made these brownies and they went over great. Almost everyone wanted the recipe. I also volunteer at a hospital doing various things for the kitchen and they are actually adding these to the menu for a gluten free option for employees. I have made these before but this recipe turned out much better.

29. Anne Taylor says

These really do sound amazing! I’m bookmarking this page because I want to make these soon! I think I will substitute stevia or xyla for the sugar and see how that works.

thanks

30. Rhonda W G. says

I make these using a brownie mix though…Just add rinsed and blended up black beans instead of any of the other ingredients usually added. They are very good but I’m sure yours are much better made from scratch!

31. Teresa M. says

There is a great little coffee shop close by that sells ‘vegan’ brownies that are so good…I will give this recipe a try…I have been using all kinds of beans in recipes lately.

32. Cheryl Grandy says

I baked the brownies the other night. They were easy to make and delicious! Definitely something I’ll make again as soon as I buy some more black beans.

33. Elizabeth says

Ive made these a dozen times since finding this recipe….and no one ever knows that they are made with beans!!

My only tip……BLEND WELL!! My first batch came out with pieces of beans…..and I had to remake them. BUT if you blend really well….scraping the sides and bottom…they come out perfect and no one ever can guess!

PS. I made these in a few different ways and they came out just as great.
    1- Sub coconut oil for Veg/canola oil and put shredded coconut on top
    2-Used hazelnut espresso and topped with slivered hazelnuts
    3!!!!!! MY FAMILIES favorite- Hazelnut liqueur and white chocolate on top!! Tastes like a lucky charm :)

happy baking everyone~~~!!

34. Jessica says

I used Splenda and eggbeaters in place of sugar and eggs. They are alright for what’s in them. Texture is off but in my book they are good

35. says

Good day! I just want to offer you a big thumbs up for the great
    information you’ve got right here on this post. I’ll
    be returning to your web site for more soon.

36. virginian says

I didn’t tell my husband about the bean, but he could taste it. Sorry but I didn’t think they were that great. Frosting only made it worse. They were only tolerable with some peanut butter.

37. says

Very moist, agree that it is more cakey than fudgy but it’s not too sweet which I like. It is very tasty in my opinion, will definitely make this again and can’t wait to try more recipes on here.

38. Anne Marie says

Made these and agree they are very tasty. That being said OMG I had a incredible case of bean bi-product you could imagine. I was so glad I didn’t have to leave the house! Did anyone else have such an experience… I mean a little is expected but wow I blew the roof off the joint! Sorry for the over share!

39. Anna says

Hi Heather,
    made these today and loved them! I added walnuts and dried cranberries to the mix and it was absolutely delicious.
    Greetings from Cologne/Germany :-*

40. Charisse Traband says

Great Recipe! I substituted 1/4c Agave Nectar for the sugar and they came out fantastic, will be making these often.

41. Alice says

I substituted kidney beans as I just couldn’t find black beans, and unfortunately, they didn’t turn out that good. They were quite bland and tasted very much like bean :(

42. Michele says

I used this recipe as a guideline but substituted red kidney beans as I couldn’t find black beans anywhere and they tasted fantastic!

43. says

Just came across this recipe and have made it 3 times in the past week!! LOVE IT! The 3rd time I made it I ended up doubling the recipe and omitting 1 egg and 1 tablespoon of the oil to save a few calories, and added a splash of milk to make up the moisture. It turned out just as good! And, I used coconut oil instead of canola.

GREAT recipe. Thank you!!

Julia

44. katie says

These are great! Second batch I switched the oil out for avocado and used agave instead of sugar. Delicious!

45. jan says

I have recently heard about black bean brownies quite a bit … and now you provide a recipe. How handy. Thanks.

46. Raju says

Sinfully Scrumptious yet healthy black bean brownies.. satisfied both the girls’ sweet tooth & my coffee ‘n chocolate cravings. My first attempt at making brownies. Fantastically moist & melt-in-your-mouth recipe.. thanks much!!

I substituted applesauce for the opl & only added <1/3 cup of dark brown sugar. I added a teaspoon of Indian "filter" coffee powder & it was a bit too strong.

47. Anon says

Just wondering if you could substitute the sugar for artificial sweetener? This sounds like a terrific recipe Ill definetely try it :)

48. Caroline says

These are great, moist and chocolatey straight out of the oven! Wish I could tell you what they’re like at room temperature….but….hahaha! I’ve been eating low carb for a month now and have been dreaming of chocolate so I broke down and made these at breakfast time! Im guessing that the health factor is negated when you eat almost the whole pan, but j suppose there are worse things a person could consume?

I substituted coconut oil and coconut sugar into the recipe, and Left out the chips and espresso powder since I didn’t have any. Even my three and five year old girls loved them.

Trackbacks