The Legendary Black Bean Brownie

For years I have heard about the amazing Black Bean Brownie.  The parents of picky eaters rave about it, folks on Weight Watchers are fans, the G-Free people have jumped on board… well who am I not to give them a whirl (pun intended, read on…)?

These turned out to be a winner for us.  I wouldn’t make them for a special occasion, but for an everyday sweet treat which is also full of fibre and some protein, absolutely!  Nothing I love seeing more than my little one with beans all over her face screaming YUM!

These brownies are prepped in the blender (whirl, get it?), so you can easily whip up a batch of these in 45 minutes, including prep, baking and clean-up.  These are extremely moist, and get even more so with time it seems.  Personally, I think they taste best the same day, but after they are fully cooled.

My Legendary Black Bean Brownies (aka Stop or My Mom Will Toot!)
Adapted from Allrecipes

1 19oz (540ml) can black beans, well rinsed and drained
3 large eggs
3 tbsp vegetable or canola oil
1/4 cup cocoa powder
2/3 cup white sugar
1 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
1 tsp pure vanilla extract
1 tsp instant espresso
1/4 cup bittersweet chocolate chips

Rinse and drain the black beans well.

Add all ingredients except for chocolate chips in blender.

Blend until very smooth, pour into an 8 inch square baking pan which has been sprayed with non-stick spray, sprinkle with chocolate chips and bake at 350 for 30-32 minutes.

Enjoy!

About Heather Nolan

Heather Nolan lives just outside of Halifax, Nova Scotia. She loves her lil' family, her cats, traveling, and creating in the kitchen. Her iPhone is often confused for a conjoined twin.

Comments

1. All right. That settles it. I’m making these this week. The last time I made these they were way too soft, but yours look perfect. Thank you!!

2. These are insane! I’ve seen alot of fibrous fruits and veggies added to sweets to make them healthier…but never beans. My oldest son the brownie expert may be getting these in his lunch bag in the near future, curious to see if he can spot the difference. Hey, he loves chocolate and he loves beans. Great recipe and yours look fabulous.

3. hahahahaha – stop or my mom will toot. somehow I missed your alternative title when I read through this. :D

4. Thanks for this recipe! I swirled some peanutbutter on top,too. My husband really liked them and couldn’t believe they were made of beans. He took the rest of the pan to the ladies in his office who are always looking for healthier recipes. Thanks again!

5. Awesome! They sound even better with a PB swirl… Mmm!

6. It’s no wonder that these are legendary. Amazing! :-) Thank you for the recipe!

7. Johnnie says:

Wow! Those look scrumptious! I have saved this recipe and will make them soon. Hope they’re as delicious as they look.

8. Anonymous says:

We made these today, substituting coconut oil for the canola oil. You couldn’t ask for an easier brownie recipe. I made it after breakfast and it was cool enough for an after-lunch treat. Thanks for sharing!

9. I’m glad you enjoyed! And thanks for letting me know of substitutions that worked out :)

10. Wow they look great! Do u know how many cals per brownie??

11. Thanks Kimberley. I did not calculate the nutritional info, but there is a great calculator at SparkPeople http://recipes.sparkpeople.com/recipe-calculator.asp where you can enter the ingredients you use and the amount of servings you get to get the precise info for yours.

12. Wow this is just lovely! Looks so soft and yummy. Sure to try this one.

13. Do these still have a nice cakey texture?

14. They are more fudgey as they are really moist, some people find them too moist if they sit until the next day. If you were to add 1/2 a cup of flour I think they would get stay more cake-like.

15. Anonymous says:

Tried this last night and LOVED it! My husband and 3-year old had no idea they were made with black beans. I omitted the coffee (3-year olds and caffeine do not mix well!) and they were still make-again-delicious.

16. I’m going to try these and see if I can sneak a little healthy past my critics!

17. Very excited to try these!! We’re always looking to “healthify” our baking! Thanks!

18. FYI to Anon:
    That tiny amount of espresso is not going to charge up any kids on caffeine. Espresso has less caffeine than a cup of coffee and this is only a teaspoon anyhoo. I’d bet the chocolate chips have the same amount of caffeine in them.

19. The taste is awesome! My skeptical husband said ‘those taste like brownies!’ We both agreed he consistency was more like cake, but that may have just been my baking time. At any rate, they are quite tasty and MUCH less incriminating than a full on brownie :) Thanks for the recipe!

20. Perfect! They are different, but a healthier option for everyday :)

21. They taste best with chocolate icing! I like to do them in muffin tins so they are like bite size brownies and I can decorate them to look like cute cupcakes. They’re always a great hit at parties!

22. I am so excited I found your Easy Ribs on pinterest. I was making them this morning for my 11 year old sons Birthday.I noticed they are in your top ten. I then noticed this recipe & put it together in my blender. Wow!!! I would like you to know I made two small adjustments, I used a single serving of All natural applesauce in place of the oil. I didn’t have instant Espresso, I made Espresso with my beans & added 3 TBS. These Brownies turned out Perfectly. They just melt in your mouth.A real hit at my house. SHHH,I didn’t tell anyone(family of 6) They were made with Black Beans.LOL Thank you!!! I can’t wait to try your Ribs tonight!!

23. That is awesome Tiffany :) I am planning on making these again soon and will try them your way, I have a lot of little applesauces hanging around. I hope your ribs turned out too!

24. Just made these for the second time using 1/2 cup Agave instead of sugar, and coconut oil instead of veg oil..they are awesome! And no wheat, no sugar!!

25. Made these last night and they were all 12 kids loved them!! I did use coconut oil instead and also mint extract instead of espresso. Awesome, thank you!!

26. Amazing!!! I made these using 1/4 cup of cocoa and 1/4 carob powder, and 1 cup dates instead of sugar. I only used 1 tbsp oil (which I’ll probably avoid altogether next time). These were even more delicious the next day!

27. SO AWESOME! Have made them twice with the recipe here increasing cocoa to 1/2 c. You KNOW I’ll be trying dates next – my new “thing”! Thanks Anonymous!

28. Used coconut oil. These brownies are fantastic!!! Thanks for the recipe! I served them with homemade strawberry ice cream (dairy free). What a hit :)

29. Thanks for the awesome recipe! I really enjoyed these brownies. I took them into work and everyone said they tasted really good.

30. Just made your pesto swirl bread. If these are anything near as good I know I will be in for a treat! Must try!!

31. Anonymous says:

I make a spice cake that uses baked beans…it’s fantastic…THIS can only be better!

32. OKay, I just made them and I’m really scared because I’ve never baked anything with beans in it.

33. OKay, I’m pretty scared I’ve never baked anything with beans in it. I can’t wait for them to come out of the oven and try one. I’ve also wanted to try to bake some chickpeas cookies/blondies, does anybody have a recipe I could use?

34. I have a similar recipes that uses chickpeas. Same idea and the kids love them!!!

35. Just made these.. we ALL loved them! WOW! YUM!!! Thanks!

36. you need a “pin it” button…gonna try these when I’m back on my feet.

37. I have made these sevral times now – with canned and dry beans- they always get rave reviews especially when people find out how healthy they actually are. reduced sugar to 1/2 cup at times.
    Thamk you for a great recipe

38. If I didn’t want to add the expresso, do you think it would still taste good?

39. Anonymous says:

Just made them again. Taking them to a social event for ladies tomorrow; I know they are better the next day. THanks Heather! ~ Rana

40. Anonymous says:

Okay, I came across the recipe/link on Fitsugar. I have a sweet tooth and am always looking for healthy indulgences. I love black beans and was quite curious how the brownies would taste. I have to admit, I was skeptical but had to give them a try. WOW. Hands down, they’re quite delicious (and better the next day)! Definitely a keeper without the guilt. Thanks for sharing!

41. These are still a hit!

42. So interesting! I’ll have to try them.
    Only, I have an espresso machine/espresso beans… wonder what the best way to alter it from using instant espresso would be? Any ideas?

43. Just found out these freeze really well too.
    Jan

44. Wow these sound so interesting! Do they actually taste like “regular” brownies?

45. Can I substitute any other beans?

46. Can I substitute any other beans?

47. I have made black bean brownies from a couple of sites other than yours and they weren’t nearly as good. Yours is my “go to” recipe.

48. How many servings does one recipe make?

49. If this makes 15 then one serving is only 107 calories!

50. Thank you SO much for this recipe! My daughter is eating her second piece of “cake” as I write this :)

51. I hate black beans, but I wonder if I’ll like these!

52. This looks like such a great recipe!

53. I am going to make these on the weekend! I’ve heard about them but never made them, but after reading your post, I have too!

thanks

RAFFLECOPTER NAME
    is
    Anne Taylor

54. I have been looking for a recipe for these, I will definitely try yours asap!

55. Victoria Ess says:

That looks so delicious!

56. Would these be less cakey if you omitted one egg?

57. just finished making these! once i put all the wet ingredients in the blender i also added 4 cups of raw spinach and liquified. the brownie came out a little green in the middle which i expected but overall very good! definitely guilt free now knowing the brownies are mainly made up of beans and spinach!

58. I kept eyeing this post and decided to make these. I am amazed by how tasty these were. My kids love them! I also do a similar brownie with pumpkin.

59. SueSueper Sue says:

Wow, I would have never thought to make a dessert with beans. They look like normal brownies. Nice.

60. i need to try these!!!

61. Cheryl Grandy says:

I was planning to make black bean brownies, bought the beans and never got around to it. I’m not even sure where the recipe is now. So I’ll use this recipe! Looking forward to trying them.

62. Question-my brownies didn’t rise when I made them…anyone have that problem?

Wondering if over blending the mixture did that?

63. Lauren E. says:

I recently graduated as a nutrition student this past may and celebrated by having a healthy BBQ. I made these brownies and they went over great. Almost everyone wanted the recipe. I also volunteer at a hospital doing various things for the kitchen and they are actually adding these to the menu for a gluten free option for employees. I have made these before but this recipe turned out much better.

64. imma have to try that!

65. Anne Taylor says:

These really do sound amazing! I’m bookmarking this page because I want to make these soon! I think I will substitute stevia or xyla for the sugar and see how that works.

thanks

66. Rhonda W G. says:

I make these using a brownie mix though…Just add rinsed and blended up black beans instead of any of the other ingredients usually added. They are very good but I’m sure yours are much better made from scratch!

67. Teresa M. says:

There is a great little coffee shop close by that sells ‘vegan’ brownies that are so good…I will give this recipe a try…I have been using all kinds of beans in recipes lately.

68. Cheryl Grandy says:

I like Olivia’s idea of adding spinach. I might try them that way.

69. Judy C (Cowan) says:

Might be worth a try…..would definitely have to hide the fact that there are beans in them

70. Cheryl Grandy says:

I baked the brownies the other night. They were easy to make and delicious! Definitely something I’ll make again as soon as I buy some more black beans.

71. Ive made these a dozen times since finding this recipe….and no one ever knows that they are made with beans!!

My only tip……BLEND WELL!! My first batch came out with pieces of beans…..and I had to remake them. BUT if you blend really well….scraping the sides and bottom…they come out perfect and no one ever can guess!

PS. I made these in a few different ways and they came out just as great.
    1- Sub coconut oil for Veg/canola oil and put shredded coconut on top
    2-Used hazelnut espresso and topped with slivered hazelnuts
    3!!!!!! MY FAMILIES favorite- Hazelnut liqueur and white chocolate on top!! Tastes like a lucky charm :)

happy baking everyone~~~!!

72. I added red quinoa that I had leftover and walnuts to thicken the batter- mine seemed too soupy. Yummy!

73. I used Splenda and eggbeaters in place of sugar and eggs. They are alright for what’s in them. Texture is off but in my book they are good

74. I’m gluten free so these look really awesome! Thanks!

75. Good day! I just want to offer you a big thumbs up for the great
    information you’ve got right here on this post. I’ll
    be returning to your web site for more soon.

76. Wow, these look wonderful, Heather! I’m not a baker, but I think I’m going to give these a try!

77. I didn’t tell my husband about the bean, but he could taste it. Sorry but I didn’t think they were that great. Frosting only made it worse. They were only tolerable with some peanut butter.

78. In the oven as I type :) I love black beans so I think this will be good, I also substituted the oil for coconut oil. I will let you know how it goes.

79. Very moist, agree that it is more cakey than fudgy but it’s not too sweet which I like. It is very tasty in my opinion, will definitely make this again and can’t wait to try more recipes on here.

80. Anne Marie says:

Made these and agree they are very tasty. That being said OMG I had a incredible case of bean bi-product you could imagine. I was so glad I didn’t have to leave the house! Did anyone else have such an experience… I mean a little is expected but wow I blew the roof off the joint! Sorry for the over share!

81. Hi Heather,
    made these today and loved them! I added walnuts and dried cranberries to the mix and it was absolutely delicious.
    Greetings from Cologne/Germany :-*

82. Charisse Traband says:

Great Recipe! I substituted 1/4c Agave Nectar for the sugar and they came out fantastic, will be making these often.

83. I substituted kidney beans as I just couldn’t find black beans, and unfortunately, they didn’t turn out that good. They were quite bland and tasted very much like bean :(

84. I used this recipe as a guideline but substituted red kidney beans as I couldn’t find black beans anywhere and they tasted fantastic!

85. Just came across this recipe and have made it 3 times in the past week!! LOVE IT! The 3rd time I made it I ended up doubling the recipe and omitting 1 egg and 1 tablespoon of the oil to save a few calories, and added a splash of milk to make up the moisture. It turned out just as good! And, I used coconut oil instead of canola.

GREAT recipe. Thank you!!

Julia

86. These are great! Second batch I switched the oil out for avocado and used agave instead of sugar. Delicious!

87. Victoria Ess says:

I need to make this!

88. Cassey C says:

I dont have black beans but maybe I can substitute for red beans!

89. Looks healthier than normal brownies!

90. I have recently heard about black bean brownies quite a bit … and now you provide a recipe. How handy. Thanks.

91. Sinfully Scrumptious yet healthy black bean brownies.. satisfied both the girls’ sweet tooth & my coffee ‘n chocolate cravings. My first attempt at making brownies. Fantastically moist & melt-in-your-mouth recipe.. thanks much!!

I substituted applesauce for the opl & only added <1/3 cup of dark brown sugar. I added a teaspoon of Indian "filter" coffee powder & it was a bit too strong.

92. Just wondering if you could substitute the sugar for artificial sweetener? This sounds like a terrific recipe Ill definetely try it :)