Well, my Jersey Shore Soup is simmering away (it’s like a cheater Italian Wedding Soup, so it’s not really Italian…kinda like my favorite guilty pleasure – Jersey Shore) and I was planning on making some sort of bread to chow along with, but I’m just not going to have enough time…sigh.
Biscuits it is!!
Biscuits have been a thorn in my side for most of my life. They were always dry, pale, sad looking rocks until I got the feel for them. A recipe for biscuits seems to be only half the battle, you have to treat those babies right. Here is the base recipe that I use:
· 2 cups Flour
· 4 tsp Baking Powder
· ½ tsp Salt
· 1 tbsp Sugar
· ½ cup Unsalted Butter – cold
· 1 Egg
1. Beat egg in a measuring cup. Add room temperature milk up to 1 cup.
2. Blend butter into dry ingredients using a pastry cutter. Blend until it is a mealy texture – pea sized bits of butter.
3. Add egg-milk mixture. Mix with hands (preferably, but a wooden spoon would do;) ) until it comes together and is somewhat ‘shaggy’. Then empty on to floured board and form loose ball.
4. Knead 20 times on floured board.
5. Cut and bake at 425 degrees for 12-15 minutes.
I normally make pretty big and thick biscuits, so I normally get 10-12.
These are so good, they are incredible as is. BUT…I love to add things as well and the best combo so far has been Jalapeno Cheddar, where I just add about 2/3 cup shredded old cheddar and some chopped bottled jalapenos during the mixing process. I’ve also added blueberries, feta and kalamata olives, chocolate chips with cinnamon sugar on top. Endless possibilities, just how I like it